Thursday, June 20, 2013

Books, Shrinky Dinks, and Banners

This week was the second week of summer vacation and we've already ran into some issues. I was expecting it, I just wasn't really prepared for it, I think. Sometimes Aubrey, the oldest girl, can be a bit unwilling to do what others want to do...but her neighbor, her best friend, is the same way. Lots of bickering going on in the house but I tried to curb it as best as I could.

Tuesday morning, I ran out and bought these kits because I had a lot to do for our big project, that we won't be doing until next week. It was hard enough to get what I have done now in the days I had. So, we made these little books instead. It's a pop up book and I was helping Aubrey make it because Brynna doesn't have the patience for it...she's only two.

So, we drew this. It was all very quick for me because I was trying to help Brynna with her craft and doing about ten different things at once. I really enjoy how these girls can sit through a craft from beginning to end. It's not something I'm used to at all. 



All three girls (Aubrey, Brynna, and the neighbor girl), worked on Shrinky Dinks. This was the first time we've tried these. I was a bit curious about how these worked and it was pretty cool...but is there a way you can just get the paper/plastic stuff? I haven't really looked into it but...I can think of a ton of different things I can do with it.




On Wednesday, it was just Brynna and me. We made a banner thing for her room with her name on it and tied it to the top bunk of her bed. I made sure it was easy to come off so her parents could decide whether or not they wanted it up. Brynna just wanted me to put it up there so I did. It's rather cute. I kind of wish I had more colors than the ones I had.


Brynna and I had a blast and some of it I'll write about next week when I post our craft. It's a funny story, actually. The two of us always have a fun time together. She's simple and only wants to play things she can see. She loves going outside, and since it was a beautiful day Wednesday, we spent all day outside.


Well, I guess that's all until next week's crafts. I really can't wait to share it.

3 comments:

  1. A while back I found instructions for how to do Shrinky Dinks without buying the kit. The plastic is readily available. All plastic has a number in those triangle arrow thingies. You're looking for #6. It's kind of flimsy and easily breakable, used primarily for takeout containers.

    Google "homemade shrinky dinks". Lots of good info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liz. I'll check it out. I think I've seen the shrinky dinks with the take out containers before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you can use number 6 plastic but it has issues. you need markers, and permanent markers make toxic fumes when baked, but if you use non permanent markers then the colors wipe right off even when baked. real shrinkydink paper has a side that is shiny and a side that is fibrous, to hold the colored pencils or marker colors. they are super cheap, you can get them on amazon for like 50 cents a sheet. http://www.amazon.com/Shrinky-Dinks-Shrinkable-Plastic-Frosted/dp/B0042SYZDE

    ReplyDelete