Monday, December 15, 2014

Gingerbread Houses. Again!

The last two years the girls and I made gingerbread houses as a craft. I didn't expect it to be any easier than it was last year. I was right. I started off by making the houses while the older girl, Aubrey, was at school. That was so it could set. Brynna, the youngest, really wanted to help but there wasn't much for her to do. She tried though. That's what counts. Well she tried to eat the graham crackers. Which is basically the same thing. 

I only used graham crackers and frosting. A lot of people mix things in their frosting to make it stay but I've never had to. It hardens if you let them set for a few hours. Considering the girls didn't break theirs, it works just fine. If there isn't enough time for that, that's a whole different story.

We made three houses. One we all helped with and then the girls got to make their own. I cheated and bought a kit for the decorating. It was cheaper and they had light shaped hard candies.

These are the girls' houses that they made themselves.
The hardest part about making these houses are trying to get the kids to stop eating the candy and licking the frosting. They weren't happy when I threw everything away. The candy was everywhere! I don't think this is something I'm going to be doing again for a long time.

It took about an hour and the girls sat through the whole thing but they seemed to enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment